Best. Breakfast. Ever. Quinoa Porridge.
Best. Book. Ever. Fresh Happy Tasty: An Adventure in 100 Recipes by Jane Coxwell is my new go-to for really fresh ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The recipes are light, healthy, creative with bounce-off-the-wall flavour – which is no surprise considering Jane’s gig. As designer Diane Von Furstenberg’s personal chef, she sails the seas on DVF’s private yacht cooking up healthy and delicious dishes inspired by whatever fresh produce is presented to her. Asia, the Caribbean and the Mediterranean are where they choose to cruise, so you can imagine the blockbuster flavours in this book!
I am cooking my way through Jane’s travels, and am fully-on board with this great breakfast recipe. I felt so virtuous throwing this down this morning and as smug-as-a-bug when the kids said, “Yeah, we can eat this!” Everybody’s winning – and on a Monday! Get-on-it MMs x
Warm quinoa breakfast porridge
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds toasted
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 1/2 cup almond milk or low-fat cow’s milk
- 2 tablespoons almond butter or peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 lime or lemon
- berries, pomegranate seeds, mint leaves, whatever you wish
- Make your quinoa according to packet instructions
- Drain the quinoa and put it back on low heat.
- Add the milk, almond butter, honey and vanilla. Stir for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat and decorate with berries, pomegranate seeds and almonds.
- Add honey and almond milk to taste.
- Frinish with a squeeze of lime or lemon to sharpen the flavours and top with fresh mint.