How to make your own healthy INSTANT PANCAKE MIX
This breakfast recipe will save your sanity and make you super-popular. A healthy, homemade pancake mixture made in advance for breakfast-on-demand.
Simply make up the mixture and stow in your pantry. When the orders start flying in, simply throw a cup in a bowl, crack an egg, add some butter, a cup of milk, and cook until golden brown.
The result is a delicious batch of golden, fluffy, light pancakes. The original recipe is by Nigella, but being the fun police, I have transformed it into something really healthy. There is no sugar, the white flour has been replaced with wholemeal and there may be a few chia seeds floating in it.
All good until they sprinkle them liberally in sugar. You can only try….
Home-made Instant Pancake Mix
for the pancake mix
- 4 cups wholemeal flour
- 5 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 vanilla pod or 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
for the batter – to each 1 cup of pancake mix (feeds 2 hungry children), add and whisk together
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
When making the pancake mix:
- Mix all the ingredients together and store in a jar.
- Throw in a split vanilla pod or a teaspoon of cinnamon for a delicious whiff and edge.
When ready to make the pancakes:
- Heat a flat griddle with a smidge of butter.
- Spoon drops of batter onto the hot griddle and, when bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes, flip them over to make them golden brown on both sides.
- A full quantity of mixture should make about 15 pancakes, each about 8cm in diameter.