A quick lesson in faking ‘fashionable’
Today, a quick cheat sheet for the Modern Mother in search of a fashion-fix.
Looking on-trend isn’t rocket science. It is a matter of knowing which trend to take on and what accessory to buy. It should shake up your wardrobe, make your sulky tween proud and impart a stylish impression with minimum effort.
It’s really just about faking it fashionably. Our special talent.
1. Mirrored sunglasses – Pop these on and prepare for some superstar attention. The other mums will be so captivated by their reflections in your reflectors, you could be wearing pyjamas and they won’t notice. Essential accessory for the kiss-and-drop-off.
2. Anything with a cut-out – So chic yet so risky. The key to its success is finding that flash of flesh that doesn’t feature stretch marks, caesarean scar or cellulite. This is a cool look, but the super-lean need only apply. Stomach crunches and air diet non-negotiable.
3. A bit of cat – I adore leopard, despite its tarty reputation. The secret is to keep your silhouette as clean and lean as said-animal. It must be worn in a purr-fectly minimal fashion – one leopard piece at a time, never more! You are just not that type of girl….
4. High heeled loafer. I dream of a comfortable sturdy heel; one so chunky, I won’t lose my balance, get caught in the pavement or lope helplessly down a gutter drain. You’ve been there. This trend could only have been engineered by a fellow Modern Mother. Thank you Saint Stella. Major humiliation averted.
5. Check-mate. Oversized checks are back and the shirt to own (if you don’t mind running into yourself) is by Isabel Marant Etoile. Everyone from Katie Holmes to Jennifer Aniston is wearing it. You can pick yours up right here. Take-out cup optional.