How (and why) to eat RAW – with the Raw Food Sisters
Every now and then, you stumble across women who really floor you. Their attitude, outlook and way in which they live their lives knock you straight off your Choos. They make you question just what the hell you have been doing with yourself.
The Raw Food Sisters – Julie and Katrin are the perfect example. Just two stunningly-beautiful vegans from Sweden who are absoutley devoted to health, helping others and raw food. That’s right RAW.
If you’ve been stuck in the laundry with your head in the dryer for the past year, you will have missed this new eating phenomena. It requires NOT cooking; so that may spark your interest.
Whilst many may disregard the notion as a passing fad, the Raw Food Sisters really make you sit up and listen. They are inspiring, generous souls who happily let me grill them on how to eat raw food and why on earth we should even consider it.
Be sure to jump onto their website – rawfoodsister.com. It’s packed with fab recipes and more info on being raw.
Thank you girls x
Modern Mothers: Tell me about yourselves?
Raw Food Sisters: We are two sisters sharing our lives as traveling Raw Vegans. We were born in Sweden but our origins are from Norway and Finland. We have spent the last years living in Italy, Germany and the Netherlands, and are now making Ghana our next home. We are setting up a production of our own delicious sundried mango there. It is a community development project and it is a step to take vulnerable farmers out of poverty.
MM: What is raw eating?
RS: It is food in its most natural state as possible, which includes fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds and algae with no cooking included.
MM: Why eat raw?
RS: Because you will feel amazing and top of the world! You clean your body and while doing so you clean your mind as well. You become happier, calmer, fearless, more in touch with the world around you. Honestly, so many other reasons why one should include more raw food in ones diet.
MM: What physical benefits are experienced by eating raw food?
RS: Oh there are many some of them are lose weight, clearer eyes, more energetic, easy on the digestive system which equals happy tummy etc. But most important you develop a beautiful relationship with your body and food. This will make you feel good from the inside and automatically make you shine.
MM: Is it a way of eating for the whole family?
RS: We believe everyone is different and need to find their own balance. We feel the best when we eat highly raw with some cooked vegan meals. However, we think it is a good idea to add more fresh fruits and veggies into everyone’s diet. In the end we don´t think anybody has died by incorporating more veggies into their diet. 😉
MM: But does it taste good? The thought of not eating deep-fried when you really need to….
RS: Honestly in the beginning the food didn´t taste that much because we were used to add all kind of spices, sauces and dressings to flavor our food. We chose to stick with our raw way of eating and amazingly our taste buds adjusted to the natural flavors. Now we can sense the absolutely amazing taste of a simple tomato. This comes from cleaning your system. So yes it tastes delicious and we have a loads of recipes that even our non-raw vegan friends have approved with big thumbs up.
MM: What key pantry ingredients do we need to enjoy the raw way of life?
RS: Make sure to always have bananas at home. It is a perfect base for smoothies. We would also recommend different types of nuts as a perfect snack and to make delicious raw cakes. Always have fresh veggies at home to be able to make quick salads.
MM: Would adore your favourite recipe! Can you please share?
One of our all-time favorite raw desserts is our Chocolate Raspberry Vanilla Dream Cake.
Ooh let me at it! Thank you Julie and Katrin xx
Chocolate Raspberry Vanilla Dream Cake
- 2 cups cashew nuts (soaked)
- 2 bananas (more if desired)
- 8 dates
- 3 big tbl coconut oil
- 1/2-1 cup raw cacao
- 4 tbl agave syrup (or other sweetener)
- 1 tbl vanilla / 1 vanilla pod
- 1 1/2 cups of cashews
- 1/4 cup of water
- 3 tbl coconut oil
- 2 tbl agave syryp
- 1 tbl of vanilla / 1 vanilla bean
- a pinch of salt
- 1 banana
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 lime
- Homemade peanut butter (optional)
- Raw cacao nibs
- Start with making the crust by putting the ingredients in your food processor. Let it go until you get a nice and crunchy texture. Divide it into your form. Put it in the fridge meanwhile you prepare the rest of the cake.
- Now make the Chocolate Dream Layer and put all the desired ingredients in your mixer. Blend until you get a nice and creamy texture. The more raw cacao you put in the more epic it will be. Cover the crust with your delicious Chocolate Dream paste. Put it in the freezer meanwhile you prepare next layers. Let it rest for at least 30 minutes before spreading next layer on it.
- To make your Vanilla Spread simply put all the ingredients except water in your washed mixer. Add as little water as needed to make it smooth. Put it in a bowl and place it in your fridge.
- Take out your Chocolate Dream Layer and if you fancy decorate it with the peanut butter (optional). Cover the chocolate layer with Vanilla Spread.
- Now make your Raspberry Cream by mixing the ingredients in your clean mixer. Spread it carefully over your cake.
- Put the cake it in your freezer for at least some hours. Make sure to take it out a good while before eating, around 20-30 min. The deliciousness of each flavor comes out more when it is not too frozen. Enjoy it with a big smile on your face! We assure you it is super yummy!