Faking a fast Wednesday night dinner: Braised white beans with turkey, kale & parmesan
I found this recipe in the latest Gourmet Traveller but changed it somewhat with very pleasing results! I substituted the chicken mince with turkey because it’s what I had in the fridge. I also left out the breadcrumbs from the meatballs – no carbs here my friends!
The result was a completely warming, deceptively healthy and delicious dinner that everyone loved. I just wish my horrible photo did it justice.
It’s a mid-week must-make. Enjoy!
Braised white beans with turkey meatballs & parmesan
(adapted from Australian Gourmet Traveller)
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- A good slug of olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 800 gm canned white beans – drained and rinsed
- 2 thyme sprigs
- lots of kale cut finely in strips
- a ton of grated parmesan plus extra to serve
- 500 gm minced turkey or chicken
- 60 gm parmesan, finely grated
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp tyme
- Seasalt and pepper
- For the meatballs, combine ingredients then form heaped tablespoons of mixture into balls and set aside.
- Bring stock to the simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Add meatballs in batches and simmer until just cooked (about 5 mins). Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Reserve stock.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and stir occasionally until tender (about 5 mins).
- Add beans and thyme, stir to coat, then add reserved stock and simmer until reduced by half (about 4 mins).
- Add kale, stir until beiginning to soften then add meatballs and stir to warm through.
- Add parmesan, season to taste and serve her up.