Cauliflower: so hot right now…
I know – what could possibly take the place of creamy, buttery mashed potatoes.
Well actually cauliflower does a very nice job of it. Far sexier than the humble spud, she purees beautifully and with enough seasoning, little mouths are hard pressed tasting the difference.
Here I give you two options – raw and cooked. Both are equally good and are a lot less fattening than mashed potato. Let me know what you think….
(from Aussie Body Diet & Detox Plan by Saimaa Miller)
Serves 4 as a side dish
- 35g macadamia nuts
- 1 medium-large cauliflower (1.25 – 1.5kg) trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- sea salt
- 250ml – 300ml cocnut water and almond milk
- Soak nuts in water for 20minutes, drain and place in a food processor or blender with cauliflower, garlic and a teaspoon of sea salt.
- Pulse to combine, then with the motor running, slowly add the coconut water or almond milk until it forms a creamy consistency.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into small florets (about 6 to 7 cups)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook until very tender, about 10 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid and then drain well and transfer cauliflower to a food processor. Add oil and reserved water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and puree until smooth. (Or, mash cauliflower with a potato masher). Season with salt and pepper and serve.