NEED-TO-KNOW FRIDAY – 6 important things, other than her kids names, you need to know about ANGELINA JOLIE
Forgot the lips, Brad and vials of blood. Here are just six of Angelina Jolie’s world-changing, humanitarian achievements you need-to-know about – in a nutshell.
1. Angelina was made UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) Goodwill Ambassador in 2002.
2. Since then she has been on more than 40 field missions to some of the most dangerous and remote regions of the world. Her aim is to shine the light on the plight of millions of people who have been displaced and to advocate for their safety and protection.
3. In 2012, she was recognised for her years of service with the refugee agency and appointed by High Commissioner António Guterres as his Special Envoy. In this role, she focuses on large-scale crises resulting in mass population displacement.
4. Her donations to UNHCR since 2001 have reportedly amounted to more than US$5 million. These funds have contributed towards the building of schools in areas including Kenya and Afghanistan as well as other projects and initiatives that work to improve the lives of those displaced.
5. In 2005, she launched an organisation to provide much-needed free legal aid to young asylum-seekers. She has since funded other CFR special reports including the Intervention to Stop Mass Atrocities and Genocide.
6 Through the Jolie-Pitt Foundation, Angelina is dedicated to eradicating extreme rural poverty, conserving natural resources and wildlife. The foundation has donated $1 million to Doctors Without Borders, an organisation who provide aid in 60 countries to those whose survival is threatened by catastrophe, violence or neglect caused through epidemics, armed conflict, health issues and natural disaster.
Makes one feel slightly tardy, does it not?