Dinner tonight: sexy steak with maple syrup and rosemary
VEGETARIANS LOOK AWAY!
Meat fiends – this is a sexy, salty-sweet treat via Donna Hay that is both dead-easy and super-quick to pull together. It’s my new go-to mid-week dinner. I am a little more liberal with the maple syrup than Donna. I splash it over the sweet potatoes as well for a nice caramelised effect. Decadence on a plate.
MAPLE & ROSEMARY STEAK WITH SWEET POTATO WEDGES
(adapted from Donna Hay Magazine Issue 67)
- 800g sweet potato (kumara), cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon maple sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary leaves
- 4 x 200g rump steaks, trimmed
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking dray, drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil, a splash of maple syrup and season with S&P.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Place the maple syrup, vinegar, remaining oil, rosemary and steak in a bowl and toss to coat. Set aside for 10 minutes to marinate.
- Preheat a char-grill pan or barbecue over high heat.
- Revove steak from the marinade, sprinkle with S&P and cook for 2-3 minutes each side for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving with the sweet potoato wedges. Add a dollop of hot English mustard, some fresh rocket and a big, bold bottle of red.