Guess who knows best?
THANK YOU to everyone who so kindly shared their mother’s favourite words of wisdom with me.
There is a MOTHER-LOAD here – some old classics and others I have never heard before. Regardless, I am filling my Moleskin with them and preparing to avalanche the kids. I suggest you do the same.
Good times! E x
- If you put something on and it feels uncomfortable, don’t wear it. You will regret it all day – Bron, Brisbane
- Just because you are talking louder doesn’t mean you are right – Mishuliya, UK
- ‘Life is too short to stuff a mushroom’. I absolutely love that one and it has guided me through the terrible teenage years. Still resonates to this day. – Mishuliya, UK.
- You are what you eat and think – Alana, Florida
- Always be punctual and wear clean underwear! – nantucketdaffodil, Connecticut
- Stand up straight and wear sunblock (she was ahead of her time) – nantucketdaffodil, Connecticut
- Shove everything in that closet so no one knows we live like slobs – nantucketdaffodil, Connecticut
- If you want something done, do it yourself! – Emma, Perth
- Don’t wait for someone to bring you flowers – go out and plant your own garden! – Kylie, Perth
- All you need in life is someone to love, something to do and something to look forward to – Nadia, Sydney
- Never compare yourself to others – Emma, Perth
- By all means listen to what everyone tells you you “can’t” do, then do it anyway – Janna, Perth
- Always keep joy in your heart – Rachel, New York City
- Sleep on it. All will be clearer in the morning – Janna, Perth
- Make hay while the sun shines – Louise, Brisbane
- Your subconscious is always the smarter one – Janna, Perth
- If you don’t have anything intelligent to say, then don’t say anything – Janna, Perth
- Thank you notes should always be hand written (still applies – no texting!) – Janna, Perth
- Never chew with your mouth open, or talk with your mouth full. Janna, Perth
- You can be and do anything in life you want if you’re prepared to work hard enough for it – Louise, Brisbane
- A rich heart may be hidden under a poor coat – Megan, London
- Don’t marry for money, you’ll end up paying for it – Kate, Samford
- Don’t ask permission, ask for forgiveness – Kylie, Perth
- Always wear good underwear – Sarah, Brisbane
- Never judge by appearances – Miriam, London
- Always leave a little bit of food on your plate – Sarah, Brisbane
- Treat your helpers like a King or a Queen and vice versa – Sarah, Brisbane